Nurturing Birth / Advertiser
Nurturing Birth offers courses across the UK for anyone wishing to become a birth or postnatal doula. The aim of the course is to introduce participants to the doula role, looking at antenatal preparation, birth and postnatal support. In a safe, non-judgmental environment we have the opportunity to:
· Debrief birth and postnatal experiences (birth, feeding, first few weeks)
· Look at birth: physiology, anatomy, obstetric scenarios, antenatal support and discussions, supporting parents making informed choices, understanding mothers and partners’ needs, how to “be” in labour, knowing your boundaries
· Discuss the role of a birth and postnatal doula and expectations of the client
· Discuss feeding options: an introduction to breastfeeding, understanding some of the common problems faced by mums of newborns, learning how to signpost good support, helping to get Mums off to a good start, safe preparation of bottles for formula feeding.
· Look at some of the common issues affecting new mothers and babies e.g. lack of sleep, visitors, unsettled babies, routines, postnatal mental health.
· Consider the best way to support new families including listening skills, helping the mother find confidence in looking after her own baby, being non-judgmental.
· Think about the journey ahead – engaging with mentoring, marketing, networking with other doulas and health professionals, further study/CPD.
· Consider running a doula business, contracts, insurance, how to get clients, marketing and networking
In addition Nurturing Birth offers mentoring support for doulas as well as a variety of workshops and study days.